Ahmed El-Kahky, director general of the museum, said that the exhibition includes a replica of the Dome of the Rock that was offered to King Farouk by the Supreme Council of Palestine; a metal sword embellished with gold, a gold blade; a copper incense burner; and a collection of photos showing the festivals organised by Khedive Mohamed Ali family to celebrate the Hijri New Year.
The museum, established during the reign of the Khedive Ismail (1863-1879), was called the Department of the Khedival Carriages before being renamed the Management of the Royal Stables.
After the 1952 Revolution, the building was again renamed the Royal Carriages Museum.
The museum was originally created not only to display royal carriages but also the horses of Khedive Ismail and those owned by members of the royal family.
Experts and veterinarians were brought from across the world to take care of the horses.
Valuable cars from world-class brands were also exhibited.
In 1969, the Cairo governorate took over three-quarters of the museum and transformed it into a garage.
This work has now been reversed, allowing visitors to see the museum once again in its former splendour.
Restoration of the museum started in 2001 but was halted and only resumed in 2017.
The museum building, previously in poor condition, has been rehabilitated, the walls and foundations consolidated, and facades and decorative elements restored.
New lighting and security systems were also installed.
The museum features a collection of royal carriages along with accessories and the clothing of the horse guards.
The items are distributed across five halls.
The first holds the carriage that French empress Eugenie gifted to the khedive Ismail on the occasion of the official opening of the Suez Canal, while the second displays rare carriages known as Alay and Half-Alay.
The third hall was the core of the museum and displayed ceremonial carriages used by royal family members for wedding and funerary occasions and promenades.
Portraits depicting members of the royal family are also exhibited.
The fourth hall is dedicated to the uniforms of the chevaliers and riders who accompanied the carriages.
In contrast, the fifth and last hall shows accessories used to decorate the carriages and horses, such as horseshoes, bridles, and saddles.
The Royal Carriages Museum is one of the first of its kind worldwide, both from the prospect of the authenticity of its building and the originality of its displays.