(Photo: courtesy of 'Out of the Circle')
ZERO1 — operating in collaboration with Out of the Circle — the US Embassy in Cairo, and Medrar for Contemporary Art announced an open call for participants in Creative Impact Lab Cairo, a five-week online creative exchange that utilises community-driven digital and new media art projects to address women’s empowerment.
The artists are requested to submit their projects by 30 May at the latest, while the exchange will take place during the five weeks within June and July 2021.
The initiative's website reveals that the lab consists of five activity phases:
- Artist Talk: a presentation by an American artist introducing the participants and the public to their creative practice.
- Workshops: a workshop series led by the American artist, which leverages their specific area of expertise. In parallel, the topic of women’s empowerment is explored by applying frameworks from the arts, social entrepreneurship, and community engagement.
- Project Development: Participants prototype artworks that apply workshop skills to address women’s empowerment.
- Panel Review and Virtual Exhibition: the lab culminates in a public panel review wherein Egyptian and US experts provide feedback on participant project prototypes. Projects are revealed to a wider public audience at a virtual exhibition opening.
- Sustainability Meetings: the US artist and participants discuss how their artworks might develop beyond the lab.
The website adds that participation in the lab is free of charge and those who participate fully will receive a stipend.
The lab is tailored for Egyptian residents who have a strong interest in technology, new media and/or digital art, and possible experience in the arts (though experience is not a must).
While the applicants should be over 18 years old — with no age limit beyond that — the organisers particularly welcome youths aged 18-35, women, and people with disabilities.
To apply, follow this link.
To read more, please visit ZERO1 website or send your inquiries to Maya Holm at [email protected]
Creative Impact Lab Cairo 2021 is a ZERO1 international exchange supported by the US Embassy in Cairo and hosted by Medrar.
The lab is organised in partnership with Out of the Circle, an outreach partner in ZERO1. Out of the Circle is an arts organisation based in Cairo, Egypt, catering to the MENA region’s digital and new media art scene.
ZERO1 is a San Francisco-based non-profit arts organisation that addresses complex social challenges by producing community driven emerging media and digital art projects.
Medrar for Contemporary Art is a non-profit collective, hosting festivals, workshops, and events to stimulate the scene; providing a collaborative space for media artists; and documenting and disseminating audio-visual content on the contemporary art movement in Egypt.
For more arts and culture news and updates, follow Ahram Online Arts and Culture on Twitter at @AhramOnlineArts and on Facebook at Ahram Online: Arts & Culture