
File photo: Iran's foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei. AFP
“Textually, the text has almost been finalized in its major parts. The problem is that the contradictory positions of the United States have always caused turbulence and disruption in this process,” Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said in an interview late Thursday.
Baghaei rejected media speculation that an agreement had already been concluded, saying Iran’s decision-making process required review of the text by the relevant authorities before any final approval.
He said Iran had entered negotiations in good faith and with full responsibility, while US officials had repeatedly changed positions, introduced what he called unrealistic demands and carried out military actions during the talks.
The spokesman also accused the United States and Israel of repeatedly violating a ceasefire declared in April.
According to Baghaei, recent US strikes targeted infrastructure in southern Iran, including two water reservoirs in Sirik.
“While they speak of diplomacy and negotiations, they simultaneously resort to force, illegal actions, and criminal behavior,” he said.
Baghaei said Iran had demonstrated both through diplomacy and military action that it would not submit to pressure or abandon its core positions.
“Iran has proven in practice that its red lines are the interests and welfare of the Iranian nation, and there will be absolutely no compromise in this regard,” he said.
“Had the Islamic Republic intended to retreat from its principled positions under pressure and threats, it would have done so one and a half years ago. We have proven that we stand firm,” he added.
Commenting on the situation in the Strait of Hormuz, Baghaei said Iran had acted responsibly to maintain maritime security but accused the United States of undermining safety in the waterway through military operations.
He referred to reports that Iran’s armed forces had announced the closure of the strait to all vessels following US strikes on facilities in southern Iran and attacks on commercial shipping, including three Indian vessels.
“The sole reason for this situation is America’s illegal and aggressive actions,” Baghaei said, adding that necessary warnings had been issued to ships.
Baghaei also dismissed reports about the timing or location of a possible signing ceremony as speculation.
“The decision-making process in our country is completely clear. The relevant authorities must review every detail of the text. As soon as we reach a final conclusion that serves the interests of the Iranian nation, it will be officially announced,” he said.
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced a "great settlement" to end the war with Iran, saying he expected a deal to be signed in Europe as soon as this weekend.
The US leader's claim came just hours after he promised fresh strikes against Iran, before calling them off. There was no confirmation from Iran, and Trump revealed few concrete details about what each side had agreed to.
Short link: